Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Friendship Hill, an evening stroll









Julian and I are both in the thick of some assignments/projects with looming deadlines. Work on those persisted today until I got the hankering for a change of scenery. 

Despite the muggy weather, we got out and about today and went to a completely new place for us. Friendship Hill is the "wilderness" home of Albert Gallatin, a fascinating old politician from Pennsylvania. The home is now owned by the National Park Service (and if I hadn't left my NPS Passport in my rental car in Florida back in April, I would have gotten it stamped - argh!). The property has some nice views along the Monongahela River and good walking trails. 

So far as I can tell, we hiked about 2.5 miles before we were ready to go home and get some dinner (it was almost 7pm and we were 30 minutes from home).

What I know for sure is that there is something in my psyche that needs the dampness of the woods and mud under my feet to feel right about the world. And I could just gaze out at that meadow for ages. 

1 comment:

  1. beautiful views and from the photos it doesn't look humid! We haven't done any explorations at parks this year like I wanted to, but there's still time!

    ReplyDelete