Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Yarn Along - For the birds.










railway park, victoria :: ponies on grayson highlands :: a house inside a house
wood duck :: the falls :: view from grayson :: #5shawls5days

The top pictures are from some of our recent adventures. We have been all over the place, including to Knoxville to help my best friend's grandmother clean out her craft space. We ended up with a small pottery kiln, a boat load of molds, a bunch of excellent fabric (which I cannot show because it is still stashed at my in-laws') and a fair bit of yarn. I'm looking forward to going on at length about my acquisitions in a soon-and-very-soon podcast episode. 

But for now, I am making a fair number of DPN cozies for my Etsy shop, plugging away on WIPs and day dreaming about my Christmas knitting that needs to really pick up. My biggest problem at present is not having enough needles in the right sizes. I always trend towards projects that have the same gauge/weight of yarn and then want to do all the things at once! That MAY be how I ended up possessing five sets of US8 DPNs...

The knitty picture above shows my newest cast on in my MCN Ironweed colorway -- one of the 5 shawls in 5 days mini shawls by Aroha Knits. I love this idea - you learn a new design/shape of shawl with each one, and once you establish the steps/pattern, you knit for 30 minutes and then you are finished. Genius. And cute to boot.  

My book is Gap Creek by Robert Morgan. I am in the middle of chapter five and thus far I love it so. Do join in with Ginny at Yarn Along! Show and tell what you're reading and knitting with us!

***


In case you haven't heard, I'm very excited to be selling yarn to support my local bird club team in the Kiptopeake Challenge on 24 Sept. This event is a bird count during the peak of migration on Virginia's Eastern Shore.

The Delmarva Peninsula creates a unique situation for hundreds of thousands of migratory birds that come down from Canada, the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic. Preferring to stay over land and with food for as long as possible, the birds travel down to the eastern-most tip of Virginia, with the peninsula acting as a funnel. There they hesitate to go out over the ocean and circle back in masses until they have enough confidence to head out over open water. This creates an extremely unique opportunity for bird (and butterfly!) researchers to do their work in the few short weeks of fall.

Twenty percent of all my Etsy shop profits from now until 24 Sept 16 will go to support this research at the Coastal Virginia Wildlife Observatory. Selling 100 hanks of yarn will get me to my goal! Please support me by visiting my Etsy shop link on the left of this blog! I need to sell three hanks of yarn every two days to reach my goal. The shop will update on 1 & 15 August and 1 & 15 September.

5 comments:

  1. I always love looking at your photos, I miss VA so much. Did you know I went to HS in Fairfax?
    I'm looking forward to your Etsy updates and I am sharing your news:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That range-view photo is simply breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colorway that you are using is stunning! I'm loving knitting my mini's for the arohaknits challenge as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing pictures! I just love the Ironweed colorway! I am from VA, I have family that stills lives in different parts of the state. I am looking forward to your updates...I love your yarn and such a great cause!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos, Amanda! I signed up for the 5 shawls in 5 days, too, but I'm not going to be able to start in for a while until I finish up a few projects that are on my needles. :) Have a great weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete