Thursday, March 21, 2013

Homemade...

After a reasonably good night's rest, a productive day at work and a tail-kicking core fusion class, I'm hunkered down with homemade ice cream topped with homemade chocolate syrup. I'm not really a fan of chocolate syrup and basically banned it from the house when I realized how artificial its ingredients are.
A few weeks ago, I found this on Pinterest. Julian and I both think that it is a really good homemade substitute for Hershey's. The best thing is that it stirs into milk pretty easily.
Last weekend, I decided we were past due for owning an ice cream maker and we happened to have a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon for 20% off. So now we own one of these.  I can sense that this is the beginning of a long and happy appliance relationship. The homemade ice cream recipe is from my mother-in-law and is as follows:
1 c. Milk
1 c. Sugar
1 c. Half & half
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 c. Whipping cream
Dash of salt
Scald milk (aka heat it til its steamy), pour in sugar, stir until it's dissolved. Pour in remaining ingredients, mixing well. Chill over night in air tight container. Freeze according to your appliance directions.
Note: this chocolate syrup is not to be confused with Julian's chocolate SAUCE that is reserved for special occasions with pound cake or banana splits. I s'pose I'll have to talk about that too...someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment