Thursday, March 14, 2013

OK is OK, but I'm glad to be home

Good morning! Here is a [shame-on-me-for-taking-a-picture-in-a-museum] Renoir snap for you. It is at home in the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art at the University of Oklahoma and is part of the Weitzenhoffer Collection.

Pierre-Auguste Renoir
France, 1841-1919
Chrysanthemums
Oil on canvas
10 1/2 x 9 3/4 in.
The Aaron M. and Clara Weitzenhoffer Collection, 2000


I've just returned from OK City. The art there was wonderful and the BIG 12 Development conference I attended was even better. We got a tour of the OU campus - a lovely, lovely place. Got a kid who is fascinated with the weather? Send them there to school.

Oklahoma was as flat as I expected but much more living-in-a-movie-set than I had planned. The old downtown looked like it was a scene from the Untouchables and the rest felt like a scene from some imaginary Kevin Costner movie in which he was a struggling pig farmer whose wife left him to move back east. All in all an OK place but I still like it here in the east.

We're so busy we don't know what to do! Julian is coaching lacrosse which has turned into the time commitment of a part time job. I'm happy for him to do it to meet new people and have something to think about besides work.

Since January, I've been serving as "interim director" of sorts since January and next week we are bringing in a strong candidate. Let's hope I like her, because we have an office of very strong personalities already and adding another woman to the mix could be perfect or a disaster, so I'm a bit nervous.

That, in a nutshell, is a life update from where I'm standing. I'm trying to figure out how to blog from my phone because that seems to be the easiest for me since I am on the go so much. Also, I'm giving up on trying to have any kind of theme or cohesive thought to my blog posts because that's not really a true reflection of my life. The blog is supposed to be a journal so I'm going to let it be that and only that for a bit.

Last but not least, I am always inspired by Posie Gets Cozy and I have only recently discovered Ginny Sheller's Simple Things blog, both of which make me long for a day when I'm measuring life in daylight not dollars, and help me find joy in the grind.

1 comment: