Wednesday, December 17, 2014

On books...


I've been getting some good reading in but I have also had some strong reading craving, left unsatisfied*.

On audio, I've been listening to James Herriot's All Things Bright and Beautiful, and loving every minute of his stories, per usual. It makes me so homesick for my childhood and being on the farm. I honestly don't know how non-farm people find so much pleasure in Herriot's writing, though I know that they do, because so much of the feeling for me is in nostalgia - knowing the exact sound that Herriot calls the "chuckle" of a mother ewe who has just lambed. These stories are completely hilarious. This book comes before the War, and details his time dating Helen and their very early married life together.




*Nevermind that bit about unsatisfied reading craving. I've been able to put my finger on it - of course - it makes so much sense! It's Christmastime! The books that spring to mind this time of year are three in particular: Little Women (Alcott), The Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Series, Karon), The Long Winter (Little House Series, Wilder). I now am well and truly into Little Women on audio and I've been reading one chapter each night of The Shepherds Abiding at bedtime. I find that, if I really enjoy a book, certain times of the year or other circumstances will make me miss the characters like they are real and I know them. (Then again, when you read nine books about the same people, you DO really know them...)

{FYI, Little Women is illustrated and FREE for Kindle on Amazon.}

Is there anything in particular you love to read this time of year?


1 comment:

  1. I think for city folks it's more about longing for a simpler life on the farm. I know for myself personally I tend to enjoy the idea of being far away from the hustle and bustle of suburbia, being in nature and working with my hands. :)

    ReplyDelete