Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Seedy


It's been a long time since I've been this excited about seed starting. Years.

Our first spring in WV was a good one for me and my seeds. I had peppers, lots of peppers. I started hardy hibiscus that still thrives, butterfly weed, zebra mallow and a whole host of other perennials to fill out our barren lot. Since then, my seedlings have been met by doom - being started too soon, growing mold, not enough sun, or getting fried before they have a chance to harden off. I also have a really bad habit of trying to "help" a seedling that I think is struggling and actually obliterating it with my clumsy fingers. I honestly think I have a knack for gardens but seed starting - not really my thing.

We will be in our new house with a lot TEN TIMES the size of this one (sure, it's just 1.1 acres, but really, ten times...) in 29 days. So today I started seeds.

We also picked up several plants on sale that included herbs, more heirloom tomatoes, rhubarb and a globe artichoke! What am I going to do with artichokes!? I guess we'll find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment