Saturday, May 11, 2013

Red Wine Jelly

I had a work party a few weeks back. We served wine, but not many people drank it. I ended up bringing home three bottles of Argentinean Cabernet Sauvignon that I had no plans to drink. I'm just not a cab kind of girl.
What kind of girl am I? A cheese girl, that's what. Last year, when I was planning for a cheese party I hosted, I  discovered that people make jelly from wine to serve with cheese and crackers! Brilliant!
Thanks to my big Ball book, I'm off and running on some red wine jelly of my own. Curiouser and curiouser....

Update: The jelly is pretty grape-y but in a grown up sort of way. It had a soft set but that may have been my old pectin's fault. I'm counting it a success because it is yummy, but I will try another batch when I can get new pectin. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to using it as a filling for some baked brie.

Recipe:
3.5 c dry red wine
.5 c bottled lemon juice
4 c sugar
1 box pectin

Bring juices and pectin to a boil, add sugar, bring back to rolling boil and cook, stirring, for two minutes. Can and process in BWB for 10 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment