Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Bush Chopping Blues




We've been uncharacteristically dry for spring and it is making the longer days, but less light in the house (because of the new leaves) feel much like fall. I am overwhelmed by the prospect of tackling the flower beds - where to begin? We've been here long enough that I have gotten the easy and obvious things finished, but now onto the tough chores of pruning and reclaiming the place from the periwinkle vines. Did I mention that I have clematis buds? Well, I do.

I've had a little bit of time in the past few days to knit on my sister's shawl. I dropped a stitch, which you can see up in the photo, and it is being a bit of a hassle to pick up. It's two rows of garter stitch, a purl row, then two more of garter. I've picked the whole thing back up once already but didn't get it right and being a single ply yarn, it is starting to get fuzzy. I just need to do it when I have nothing else to think about - which means it will never get done.

I plan to podcast this afternoon but first I am requiring myself to finish painting the hallway and turn the compost. I'd also like to prune one of our bushes before Julian gets home, as I know if he were here he would keep saying with caution, "Are you sure about this?" Yes, yes I am. I want to whack that bush within an inch of it's life. No "just a little off the top" this time. It needs a real chop.

***

What's keeping you busy? Show and tell with me and the folks over at Yarn Along.

7 comments:

  1. you are always busy doing things, so nice! our neighbours chop down their tree/bush in front to the nubs almost and I think it works. Was surprising first time we saw it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have roses that I hack to death every year...kind of wishing they wouldn't come back but a few months into summer they're always unruly and huge again... Clematis buds seem a happy thing to me! I have some in a few pots so they can come with me when/if we move and they are just peeking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fix the stitch first thing in the morning, with your coffee or tea. I have found that to be the best - and the quiet of the house is helpful too! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you fish up that stitch. single ply isn't the easiest to fish up. I am knitting socks in single ply. Have fun tackling the bushes. I used to do that before my husband got home so he couldn't complain or say it wasn't a good idea.Now I let him do all the trimming, I'm too busy inside the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness it is such a hassle when we drop a stitch :-( I feel the same way about some of our trees ... John didn't want them cut down - me? Get them out of our yard!!! I just love your podcasts ... And I'm also rivermama65 in IG. You actually have visited me a few times ;-) visit my feed when you can .... Now back to getting to know my new to me loom :-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shawl....you will tackle that stitch! I am getting ready to whack a few bushes around here too. We are trying to win back our property from a vine that has taken over and is killing everything in its path.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh such a pain to drop a stitch. The yarn is gorgeous sky colour. I just adore you quilt; I'm in the process of making a similar one.

    ReplyDelete