Thursday, August 27, 2015

Kitchen notes





I got the kitchen window opened for the first time this week - I woke up yesterday and it was 65F outside! It felt wonderful to have the misty morning breeze coming into the kitchen, though really I should keep it all shut up because of the humidity. Welcome to the tropics (not really, but really).

I have done a bit of real cooking this week. I am struggling to get a routine down to have dinner on the table at a reasonable time. I also failed at my menu plan this week. Think those two problems are connected?

I did get some "real" cooking done this week, but didn't take many photos. I fried our first okra from this garden and made BLTs on homebaked bread. Above you'll see the dirty rice {recipe} that was dinner one night and lunch two days. The blondies recipe is the best I've ever tried and the only one I will use. It is sinful, but I will share the diabetes love anyway. And pah-leese, don't go substituting applesauce instead of butter or leaving out the nuts, just bake it the way it says to.

Suzi's Blondies 

2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda

Combine these ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to incorporate.

2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs (room temp)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 c. butter, melted

Combine these ingredients in ANOTHER mixing bowl. Stir, stir.

Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients, folding in until just moist throughout. Fold in 3/4 cup each chocolate chips and nuts of your choice. Pour batter into greased 9x13 pan, sprinkle top with another generous handful of nuts and chocolate chips. Toffee bits, coconut and other things do nicely here. THIS is the part where you can improvise. Bake in 350F oven for 25-30 minutes or until edges are crispy-chewy and center is done but not overbaked.




No comments:

Post a Comment