Wednesday, June 11, 2014

{Yarn Along} Redwoods


I am happy as a lark that this shawl is coming along so nicely. What's that you say? There's but a smidgen of a shawl there? Well, yes, you are right. But that smidgen has come along nicely and I am anticipating great progress as I sit in the car service lobby, waiting to have the tires rotated this morning.

I wasn't planning on starting this project until summer because the hitch hiker was my spring knitting project and I was hoping to focus attention on getting other things finished, like this and this. It was easy to postpone because I didn't have the right sized needles, until my sister in law sends me five pairs of needles from her stash that were duplicates! Now I have a size 8 double points AND circular. Just what I needed.

Also, I am happy to report that this was my first project with a garter tab and I seemed to manage that OK. I opted to do a three stitch tab instead of the recommended two stitch tab so I had to fudge the number of stitches on my needle before starting the pattern, but it all came good in the end.

As for reading... I am currently listening to The Quickening by Michelle Hoover. I am almost finished with it but I still can't form a concrete thought about it. I obviously have been interested enough in the story to keep at it, but I'm not sure why. There heavy themes of marriages being "good" and "bad" and of men and the same. The story is told from the perspective of two neighboring farm women in the 1920's. It seems that all the bad things happen to good people and the bad people make out fine, only they have empty hearts because they lack a sound marriage. I do not recommend the book to anyone sensitive to miscarriage. I do recommend the book to anyone who enjoys dissecting literature for themes and meaning. The book was written by a college writing professor, and it does read a bit like a literature assignment and leaves one scratching one's head, looking for meaning. 

Joining Ginny

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! Thanks for visiting my site. You know, I just met the author of the Hitchiker pattern last weekend and she was so sweet! I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with:) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, the book sounds intriguing to me!! I like thinking kind of books. Love your knits and I knew your garter tab would go well, you're a good knitter!!

    ReplyDelete