Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A finish






The soft shoulder cowl is finished and I am quite pleased. I blocked it by soaking and this is the first time I used Eucalan. So far as I can tell it worked like a charm. The piece has a soft feel a lovely drape, as you can probably tell by the picture.

So as soon as the one is done I am off and going on a new project. A pair of Zip Mitts is the order of the day. I will be quite the colorful, cozy person when all these projects are done. I do not know what compelled me to choose bright red when I've only just finished a yellow cowl... well I suppose I do. It's that it is beautiful!

You really should check out {and buy some} Cestari Yarn. I love that the company is small, Virginia-based farm that grows both its wool and cotton here, mills it here and sells it here. Pictured above is their Mt. Vernon Collection (2ply worsted fine merino) in the dahlia color way. All of their kettle dyed colors are stunning.

On the reading front, much is the same only I have added into the mix: Patrick Taylor's An Irish Country Doctor. It is very similar to the James Herriot books only in Ireland and with people instead of animals. Nothing to tax the mind here, and on audio, the narrator's Irish accent is pure delight.

What are you knitting and reading? Show and tell with Ginny and the others.

12 comments:

  1. I like your book suggestion and your yellow soft shoulder cowl is BEAUTIFUL!
    I like the combo of yellow and red. You'll have those mitts done in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty cowl Amanda! That Eucalan is some awesome stuff. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, your shawl looks so cozy and warm. I have some yarn that would work well with that pattern! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at Irish accent! Haha! Your cowl is lovely and I really like Kingsolver. The Bean Trees was the first book of hers that I read in early college me I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Amanda, the cowl is just beautiful, I think I need to knit one!
    I love Cestari Yarn, one of my favorites and something I buy every time I visit my sister's in Va. Love that dahlia, color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll add that book to the list. Gorgeous shawl, so very pretty!! I have knit with their yarns once and I remember loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I just love the look of that shawl. Also The Bean Tree is one of my all time favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your shoulder cowl, it looks cozy, and the colour is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cowl is beautiful, I really do like the way it hangs/lays!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding An Irish Country Doctor to my reading queue (love Good Reads!). Such a soft color for your cowl...lovely! Have fun knitting your mitts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cowl is lovely and I adore the colour for your mitts - a bright pop against a winter coat sounds just about right and very cosy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful and cozy cowl! The color is great!

    ReplyDelete