Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Cut card



I was bumbling through Pinterest one day not too long ago and found a pin that looked interesting - it was about block carving. I sent it to Julian (on his computer, across the living room, sheesh) and he liked it too.  A little bit of research and a mini shopping spree later, and we spent one night last week coming up with our Christmas card print for this year.

We've never done anything like this before, but I thought there was no sense jumping off the deep end without a reason, so I hatched the homemade card plan and got to work. We bought the speedball starter kit and Julian said if I would draw something out, he would carve it (isn't it nice to be good at different things?). I found inspiration in the words of silent night, my least favorite Christmas song, so that's pretty ironic.  Since this was our first endeavor with block printing, I wanted something simple, and the idea of calmness came to mind. All is calm, all is bright.

Don't you just love it? We've got ink and a brayer on order, so we've not had a chance to experiment with the actual printmaking part. Can't wait for the next step!

Keep calm and craft on with Frontier Dreams

3 comments:

  1. Your carving is lovely, it's always fun to try a different craft. Thanks for popping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love it!! so creative and a lovely design :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love yr design. Block carving is something I have pinned a lot lately but not yet done anything about... I think I just need to confidence to get carving!

    ReplyDelete