Thursday, October 16, 2014

Moving too fast





corned beef :: cookies for breakfast :: spoon bread

Didn't I just post yesterday what happened in the kitchen last week... wasn't yesterday Thursday? Isn't today Friday? How does the grass need mowing again so soon? What happened to the weekend?

Whew! Like is flying by at a break-neck speed for us. I don't even know what we ate this week but I know my fridge is chock-full of leftovers, so we must not have starved. I made squash casserole, more couscous, a for-real corned beef (for the first time), lots of salad, and who knows what else.

Like I've mentioned in previous posts this fall, I'm on a bit of a corn/cornmeal kick. I was flipping through the Nero Wolfe Cookbook and was surprised to see a recipe, which I've always considered pretty humble food, in such a gourmet cookbook. Then I was in an antiques store and found an old ladies auxiliary cookbook from Monticello that probably has four different ones.

Consider this week one of the spoon bread cook-off. This picture was the Three Eggs and Boiled Milk recipe from the Nero Wolfe Cookbook (there was an option with fewer eggs).

Spoonbread #1 
from The Nero Wolfe Cookbook

5 Tbsp butter, melted
1 c. white cornmeal
1 tsp salt
2 c. boiling water
1 c. milk
3 large eggs, beaten
1/3 c raisins, soaked in Kirschwasser (brandy) (optional)

Add boiling water to cornmeal and salt, mix and let sit for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 425F. Bring milk to just a boil then remove from heat and stir, carefully, into cornmeal mixture. Temper eggs with some of the cornmeal mixture, adding remaining eggs a little bit at a time back into main bowl. Stir in melted butter and raisins (if using) and pour mixture into buttered baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top and set through. Serve with maple syrup and or cream and currant jelly.

Observations: This spoonbread bakes up like a cornmeal soufflé, which is a bit different than I am used to. It was delicious straight out of the oven, albeit a bit eggy in the way that a clafoutis or a cream puff can be eggy. For that reason, I wish that I had used the raisins, or dried cherries, and had it for breakfast. It was excellent with the maple syrup and really had a melt-in-your-mouth sort of texture. In the future, I will plan it as a brunch option instead and perhaps, in lieu of raisins, add grated cheese instead.


Play along by sharing what's in your kitchen at Beauty That Moves.

PS, I went back to work this week part time as an admin. asst. for a local church. I like the work but it takes a chunk out of my routine!

3 comments:

  1. Your spoon bread recipe sounds really good. I love egg recipes for breakfast and any non-yeast/bread recipe where I can use preserves. I've developed a yeast intolerance, which is not good for someone addicted to making jam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I feel the same way...whoosh...That spoon bread looks amazing. Thanks for posting the recipe as I've never even heard of it before never mind tasting it or making any. I like eggy and it sounds perfect with fruit or maple syrup as you suggested.
    Thanks for another peep into your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such wonderful images and ideas. I love the Nero Wolfe mysteries, especially all their homey details (the mysteries are far less "important" to me!) -- I must check out that cookbook, thanks so much for sharing about it! All the best to you in your new job...I'm thinking of applying for one myself in a few days! so am encouraged to hear of your wonderful success.

    ReplyDelete