Tuesday, December 8, 2015

that big ol' pumpkin



I didn't weigh that big ol' pumpkin or if I did, I didn't write it down, though I should have. I love a big pumpkin, and this is actually a more eye appealing one than I generally choose. The ugliest ones are the pretty ones in my eyes, and often most yummy. Jack o'lantern pumpkins often aren't yummy at all.

This guy got to live on my front porch for the better part of a month, but when in the pot at the first sign of a freeze. Last year, I brought a pumpkin indoors to stay with us a little longer, not knowing he'd already had his first freeze outdoors. Unbeknownst to me, he sat there on my cream-colored-carpet and rotted from the bottom up.








The first quarter I roasted in the oven. It produced four quart bags of pumpkin puree for the freezer. The second quarter of the pumpkin was diced and tossed in the crock pot where it simmered and I stirred for days. I did not use a recipe, per se, I just went by feel and it yielded two quart jars of spiced pumpkin butter. 

The second half was roasted in the oven and I scooped out about two thirds of the flesh from it and made a pot of pumpkin-lentil- coconut-curry soup. This is now in the freezer as well. The remaining bits of pumpkin from the second half was tossed on the compost heap as I was pretty well over it by then and only half the residents here enjoy pumpkin at all. 

The variety is Flat White Boer, an heirloom variety popular in South Africa. I did save seeds, so let me know if you'd like some and I'll send them your way. 

2 comments:

  1. That is gorgeous!! I have a deep love for different squashes of all kind. I didn't get any in the freezer this year, somehow time got away from me and I was doing some other preserving instead. Actually it wasn't a very good squash harvest here in general this year so the produce stands didn't have much. I would love a couple seeds if you are willing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good gracious that is one super large pumpkin!!

    ReplyDelete