Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Rejoice!


I am not really a cross stitch person. I prefer needlepoint, mainly because the image is printed on the fabric and I like that the whole background is filled in. My mom got me one of those tiny 3x3 in. cross stitch ornament kits to teach me when I was about ten. She taught me all I needed to know in about nine stitches and I never finished it.

All this aside, I saw a few pictures on Pinterest and followed the bunny trail to Plum Street Samplers. I just fell in love with the antique reproduction cross stitch I found there. I generally steer clear of "primitives" but some of these are very nice.

When I saw this freebie chart she offered, I knew I wanted to make one to match the quilt I've been piecing in 1800's reproduction fabrics. This makes a perfect project for me on the plane this Friday when Julian and I go cross country to a CS conference. Since I am a rather obsessive packer, this little lovely is assembled and packed already, just waiting for the fasten seat belt sign.

P.S. I also found this pattern for a Valentine's stocking. Is that not the cutest idea ever? I think I'm going to make one for every wedding I'm ever invited to, from here on out. The recipients can fill it with sweet nothings on Valentine's Day and their anniversary!

Keep calm and craft on with Frontier Dreams!

5 comments:

  1. I loved cross stitching in the 80s and early 90s but then my love of knitting took over and now there is no turning back :) Love the links, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've never really tried it but everything on Plum Street Samplers looks beautiful! Please let us know how you go and post a picture. I'm sure it will turn out beautifully!
    Happy stitching, Lena x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw that stocking and it is darling! Such a nice idea for v-day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful design! I've been getting away from cross stitch, but sometimes I can't resist when I see something that grabs my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - I LOVE that cross stitch pattern! I need to go check it out myself. I look forward to seeing your progress :)

    ReplyDelete