Thursday, April 17, 2014

Making and listening



The crafting and baking have been a bit slow. It seems Julian and I can never catch up. Not enough hours in the day... I hope this weekend at home in Virginia will be just what we need to unwind.

Last night, I finished up listening to Major Pettigrew's Last Stand on audiobook and started Julia Child's My Life in France. I was able to get house chores done - kitchen floor mopped, dishwasher run and emptied, house plants looked after - and it felt more of a relief to do those things than it did work. If life is untidy, having the house more in order always makes us feel better.

I baked some of these hot cross buns while I was at it. They really are so wonderful, any time, with an dried fruit you've got. I make them for baby showers, holidays, Saturdays - any reason I can come up with. We ate too many of them last night at 10pm, piping hot and melting the peach jam down our hands. Julian always says, "They will never taste this good again!"

In the crafting department, since knitting is on hold until at least tomorrow (road trip), I have decided to start my Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt. Julian gifted the book to me many moons ago and I browse and admire it often, but always shy away from the momentous task. My aunt Lois had a great idea (and I had thought of it before but maybe I just needed her affirmation) to just pick my favorite 12 blocks and make them double-sized, 13 inches instead of 111 6.5 inch blocks. So, that's my plan of action. I've started here by EPPing the Night & Day block. I absolutely adore this black fabric with the oranges and part of the reason I've stalled on this so long is because I am always afraid to cut into fabrics that I love. I'm a whopping 1/8th of the way done with the block, so that will need some attention this next week if it is going to get finished. I'd like to do one block per month, by hand, not machine.

What are you making and listening to? Joining Dawn Suzette.

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed with people who hand sew blocks - actually I am impressed by anyone who makes quilts! It's on my list to get to someday!

    I love the black material too with the little oranges - so cute! I have material that I haven't touched since purchased months ago because I am afraid to cut into it and make a mistake. But then it just sits there and is made into nothing so I think I should get cutting! ;)

    ReplyDelete