Wednesday, April 16, 2014

{Yarn Along} baby screams



 Lacrosse continues to go well - and take up all our time - despite the absolutely frigid weather for much of our region last night. We were pelted with sleet and snow while we sat out in the ice-covered stands, watching our boys defeat the team that was ranked #1 in the state, 14-2. You can tell Julian's face is totally frozen stiff in this clip. We celebrated with some free IHOP at 9pm.

To be honest, my hitchhiker hasn't gotten out of the luggage from last week's trip to Texas. While I was there in the hospital room with my friend Amy and baby Evie, I sat down to get some knitting done. Against my own advice, I stopped midway through a row when Evie opened her eyes for the first time that day. She'd been very sensitive to light and everyone thought she'd had a doozie of a headache from the 35 hours of labor, so the eyes were slow to make their appearance. I put my knitting down and grabbed my phone {camera} to get a picture with her beautiful eyes open. BOTH of us were completely traumatized when the FLASH WENT OFF! Gasp! Shrieks of terror! It was completely automatic (both the flash and the shrieks), I certainly didn't expect it to do anything at all. I didn't even know my phone HAD a flash. Both mom and dad were resting until this point and, unless they read this post, will never know what happened and how it is all my fault. Evie's daddy got her settled down and I sat down to resume my quiet harmless knitting when one of the needles slipped completely out. I didn't have the nerve for fixing it and still it remains in the bag, unfurling as I type. Ugh.


Things on the reading front are much better than knitting. I am almost finished with Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and I am enjoying it immensely. It is a gentle story, but it is not shallow. It addresses many things - racism, class-ism, religion, marriage, mourning, abortion, greed, etc. - in a way that makes you ponder but without creating emotional residue that lingers after you walk away.

Next up on my list is My Life in France by Julia Child. The audio books are working well for me, so long as I can keep my phone charged. I still am waiting on The Guernesy Literary and Potato Peel Society and The Paris Wife, which are both on hold for me when they become available. It feels so good to be "reading" again. It's like starting laundry for me, it is a passive sort of accomplishment to listen and clean the kitchen or drive somewhere. It makes me feel so very accomplished to be doing two things at once without task one losing out to the other.

What are you crafting and reading?

Linking up with Ginny.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry about the knitting. I knew what you were going to say before I read it. I have lost many items that same way. I think that is what made me drift over to crochet. I only need to worry about one hook...not two needles. I have read the "Paris Wife". It was a really good read. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something like that always happens to me whenever I put my knitting down mid row :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try really hard to never stop mid row, but you know sometimes I do and then I drop a few stitches....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished "The Glass Castle" and am rereading "The Man Who Moved a Mountain." That one is a true story about mountain people, liquor, shooting, and a country pastor on Buffalo Mountain, somewhere not too far from Floyd.

    ReplyDelete